The past few years,
I have come to appreciate the power of truly loving myself. Most of my life, being alone was one of my biggest fears. I found myself in numerous friendships
for the wrong reasons and ended up settling in ill-fitting friends. This deeply
rooted fear and lack of understanding of myself caused the relationships to become
my whole world, focus of attention and my center. I would sacrifice my own goals
for the other person. When the friendship collapsed, so did my sense of self. Through
much introspection, I realized the source
of these failed friendships was myself. I realized that I didn’t truly
love or appreciate myself and had relied on external sources for love and
approval. I decided to change. I had to overcome my fear of loneliness by
finding independence and personal freedom. Even since I found true appreciation
for myself, the quality of friendships I have attracted has been phenomenal. I
have discovered that the more I loved and understood myself, the less I feared
being by myself, and the more healthier friendships I was able to attract into
my life.
I started doing
what I called “Dates with myself." Regardless my external friendship status, I would schedule time with myself. I
would literally take myself out on a date and spend that time totally focused
on myself. It’s my time. We spend so much time and energy focused on others
that we forget to recharge the source
of that energy. It is only when you are well that you can have the
energy and internal resources to make a positive difference and help others.
This is a simple, yet powerful concept that can dramatically improve your
wellbeing, effectiveness and mental health.
Needless to say, we have to choose friends who you are proud to know, people you admire, who love and
respect you – people who make your day a little brighter simply by being in
it. Don’t walk away from negative people, RUN! Life is too short to
spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you.

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIt was nice to see you posting entries again yum. Love and miss u so much!
ReplyDelete